The Danger of Flu to Children
Flu is more dangerous than the common cold for children. Each year, flu places a large burden on the health and well-being of children and families.
- Children commonly need medical care because of influenza, especially before they turn 5 years old.
- Each year an average of 20,000 children under the age of 5 are hospitalized because of influenza complications.
- Some children will die from the flu each year. During the 2007-08 flu season, CDC received reports that 86 children died from influenza-related complications.
- Severe influenza complications are most common in children younger than 2 years old.
- Children with chronic health problems like asthma and diabetes are at especially high risk of developing serious flu complications.